The Dental Technician is responsible for the preparation and maintenance of dental equipment and instruments and the performance of simple dental diagnostics and procedures under the supervision of a dentist.
The course of study lasts 2.5 years (5 semesters) and is conducted in the extramural mode.
Code (digital symbol of the profession): 321402
- Performs – according to the dentist’s instructions – laboratory dental work, such as dentures, orthodontic and maxillofacial appliances, inlays for replacing missing teeth, using metal, plastic and ceramic processing equipment and tools.
- design of plaster models of lower and upper dentures, replacement of damaged teeth in dentures;
- making inlays to supplement hard and soft tissues of the oral and craniofacial cavity, adjusting teeth and occlusion (brackets);
- operating modern equipment and apparatus in the dental laboratory, in accordance with health and safety rules (metal melting apparatus, centrifuges, prosthetic drills of various types, grinders);
- keeping a work diary – in accordance with the instructions in force in the prosthodontic clinic – and records of procedures performed;
- inspecting and evaluating, with the assistance of the laboratory manager, the prosthetic work performed in the laboratories in terms of its compliance with the doctor’s recommendations, the materials used, and the patient’s comfort and usability
- inspecting and assisting with technical work in the laboratory, assessing the technical execution of the work (quality of work, accuracy, aesthetic appearance, cost);
- handing over finished work to dentists and other principals in accordance with the dental team’s procedure for handing over and receiving work;
- adjustment and customisation of individual prostheses and appliances, their repair and maintenance;
- recording and controlling of working time and materials and equipment used for procedures (work and material documentation);
- preparing the patient, in accordance with psychological and pedagogical principles, for the use of prostheses and other appliances supplementing and correcting defects in dentition and taking care of their condition;
- carrying out educational activities promoting the prevention of malocclusion, caries and other diseases.